1/9/17 Chronicles

Friends' blogs


Latest Post - This Week

  Monday 1/2/17

I hope you got to read last week's Blog post because I put a little end-of-the-year recap there.

I feel like I'm always at least a day or two behind and catching up here...I don't know where the time goes! I need to find a way to manage my time better. I think part of the problem is spending too much time on Facebook.

I got up around 11, if I recall correctly. It was cold and very rainy. David went out for me because I didn't want to go anywhere. He checked my post office box and picked up Wendy's for me, for lunch. He went into work for a while. Later on, we went for our last walk at the trail, until the weekend at least. He goes back to work tomorrow.

Apparently we had a tornado watch, but I had no idea. Those are not serious. It's when it turns into a warning that it becomes more serious. A tornado watch just means "conditions are favorable." We get those all the time in this part of the country. A tornado warning means "a tornado is imminent." But if it's not in your county, then don't worry too much. We take those more seriously. We have no basement, though, unfortunately. It's funny because we lived in many places that got tornadoes and not once did we ever have a basement, cellar, or storm shelter.

It's been hard to keep track of what day it is lately, what with all the holidays, traveling, and him being home from work. Having the postal holidays the day after didn't help! I guess one of the walk-in closets would be the best place to be for that. No windows in there. Actually, our living room doesn't really have any windows. It's adjacent to other rooms that have windows.

  Tuesday 1/3/17

It's still hard to remember to type 2017 instead of 2016!

I was sick a lot today from the gluten allergies. I even went back to bed for a while. I didn't exercise today because of being sick.  I did get quite a lot done, though, despite that.

I have about 13 plants left from the 30 or so I bought since June. There are about 6 I'm concerned about because they have lost leaves or have brown leaves. I'm going to have to buy some more soon.

I've been making stir-fry a lot lately. It's good! I haven't been completely successful in sticking to my diet, but at least I am eating a lot more vegetables.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not last week, but I bought a couple of cheap pairs of sweatpants at Wal-Mart. I need more clothes, especially pants. I have a lot that I bought in Hawaii that are not adequate for weather in the 40's or below. Or so I learned! We really turned into terrible weather wimps in the past 3 years (especially for cold weather).

It looks like my third class this semester will be voice lessons. I had hoped to take guitar, but they don't have an instructor for that (very small school).

  Wednesday 1/4/17

I was a little bit sick today, too, but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

We're going to Little Rock this week, so that'll be fun! We're staying at the Marriott, which is the best hotel in the downtown area.

I've been taking down the Christmas decorations all week. I was hoping to take the tree down tonight, but I ran out of time and energy. I'll have to do it all now when I get back.

I bought a new Lucky Bamboo plant online, and it came today. I had one in Hawaii that I had to leave behind. It's thriving. I gave it to my friend Cynthia, and she was kind enough to send a photo of it. I hope this new one will thrive, too. They didn't send the little rocks that come with it, so I emailed them. Hopefully they will send them right away.

I can't believe that I'll be starting classes in a week! Ack! Am I crazy, to go back 30 years later? Maybe...LOL!

I did the dishes a lot this week because of all the cooking I've been doing. I'm finally caught up on all of the laundry, too, and I straightened up the whole place. It's so hard to balance everything.

We're hoping to have people over soon... I'm waiting for David to decide when and to schedule it, so I can start planning it.

I stayed up until about 12:30 tonight. I have to get up in 5 hours. UGH.

  Thursday 1/5/17

I woke up on time, amazingly, and got up, even though I was pretty tired. I had leftover stir-fry for breakfast and finished packing, and got ready.

It was dark still when we drove to Little Rock. I was very tired. It was too dark to read or anything.  It was pretty cold, too. It was fun to watch the sun rise as we drove, though. We stayed at the Marriott. We had stayed there before and liked it. Thankfully they let us check in, even though it was very early. We checked in and David left pretty soon for his meeting. I went back to sleep.  After his meeting, he came back, and we went out to lunch. I brought all of the winter accoutrements. I knew it would be cold on Friday because they said it might snow, but I didn't really think about how cold it would be today in the 30's. I was wearing these blue pants that are fairly thick. Not super thick. I did bring long underwear but thought I would only need it on Friday.  It was just too cold, though, so I had to change into the long underwear. I also put on a second pair of socks. Of course I had a knit winter hat and scarf, and the gloves that my neighbor gave me. Thank goodness she did because I've lost one of the leather gloves I had. I now have three right hand winter gloves! Anyway, I have two nice long scarves that I can wrap around my neck (and face if needed).  Even with all that, I was very cold just walking to the restaurant for lunch. We were outside maybe 10 minutes, and my nose was all red. Brrr!

We went to Dugan's for lunch. We were amazed that one couple was sitting outside in the cold!  The woman looked up to me and kind of smiled, looking cold.  I said, jokingly, "You must be crazy!" and she laughed.  At lunch, I had the Reuben (no bread or saeurkraut) and a small salad. The waitress there is very nice and cheerful, and she knew about gluten. They also have a great hot chocolate drink there with amaretto. Very yummy. Aside from the hot drinks today, my diet was not bad. Oh, well.  Then we walked back to the hotel and I went to the Starbucks. I had an eggnog latte. It was delicious. David had decaf, too. It was that cold. His decaf was free, too, so that was nice. I had ordered mine, and then he came in (he'd been waiting outside for me) and decided he wanted a decaf. I'd already paid for my drink, and I guess she didn't want to bother ringing him up, too, so she just gave it to him. Also, I'd ordered my latte with only half a shot of espresso, so she mumbled something about how she'd just give him the other half. Not quite sure how that works, since his was decaf, but I wasn't going to argue!

When he's not working, David takes a nap in the afternoon (I do sometimes, too).  That way we can stay up later in the evening.  We don't always make it, though. Getting old.

I worked part of the day, and then later, we went for dinner. First we stopped at the Flying Saucer pub for drinks and considered eating there, but it didn't look like they had much I could eat.  They had no hot drinks besides coffee, either.  So instead we went to Cache, a restaurant I like that has lots of gluten free foods. Flying Saucer is a chain pub that we like. It has all sorts of beers and ciders as well as food. They have "saucers" all over the wall (decorative plates) and funny signs, like one that says "Friends Don't Let Friends Fly Drunk." And a sign on this little door that says "Keep the F*** Out." LOL!

Anyway, back to Cache.  They also bring out a ton of gluten-free bread, but I can never eat all of it (which is probably a good thing). I had a delicious chicken dish that came with a wonderful sauce, and carrots, and polenta. It was delicious, but I couldn't finish it all. We went back to our hotel after that. It was not late, so we stopped in the hotel bar/restaurant for a while. We were both pretty tired, though.

The Marriott was still decorated for Christmas! They had many Christmas trees, wreaths etc. all over. They also had a Gingerbread House decorating contest with their employees (just like they did with the pumpkins back in October). It was really beautiful. I took many photos.

Oh, I had stopped at the desk to ask them to have someone look at our heater because even though I cranked it up to 80, it was not all that warm. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. They offered to move us into another room, but we didn't feel like moving.

I ended up staying up until about 2 am working and such, so I guess I wasn't that tired, after all.

  Friday 1/6/17

I woke up at 7am and then went back to sleep. David didn't wake me up like he was supposed to, so I didn't get up until after 11am. We didn't go to the Beatles exhibit that I wanted to go to.  To be fair, though, it was very cold. It snowed this morning and was in the low 20's. Way too cold for us former Hawaiian residents!

We just went to the nearby sushi restaurant for lunch (we've been there before and it was very good). We didn't want to walk much further because we were hungry and very cold.  Especially me. I was not enjoying the cold and snow. I mean, the snow was pretty, but I was worried about slipping on the ice and snow.

I had brought my boots, but apparently I can't fit into them any more. They zip up fairly high, so my calf has gotten too fat to zip them up. So I had to wear my tennis shoes again. I wore my jeans, but even with the long underwear, I was so very cold. I wore my ski mask today since it was so much colder. I did look ridiculous, but at least I was not so cold. I really need to get some more jeans or other thick pants.

I don't eat sushi, but I had the hibachi steak dish, which is really good. The waiter was very young and didn't know much about gluten, but he was happy to help me out and learn about it.  Nice kid, really. He even looked up the salad dressing on the internet to make sure it was gluten free. I just had the steak and vegetables, not the rice and sauce that came with it. I was trying to do a little better today with my diet.

We walked over to Dugan's again after that. It was really super cold both outside and inside. The place itself didn't seem to have the heat on like they did the previous day. I had more hot chocolate. I tried their hot cider as well, but it was not very good. I really didn't want to go back out into the cold today. Eventually, I had to.

The problem with walking around with the ski mask on is that I had to wear my glasses under it (or I couldn't see very well), but then they got fogged up, so I couldn't see very well, anyway. I mostly just followed David and tried not to slip.  The doormen enjoyed laughing at me.

I stopped again at Starbucks. They were out of eggnog, so I got a Skinny Peppermint Mocha. Well, I had whipped cream, so it wasn't THAT skinny, but at least it had sugar free syrup. Frankly, it didn't taste at all like peppermint, but it was delicious anyway. I also bought their Christmas bear, which was on sale. I always like getting their annual Christmas bears. They used to sell a lot of bears there but stopped doing that, I guess. Too bad. I also bought a small bear (kind of a Christmas ornament but large for that) at the hotel gift shop.

I worked on my site and then later we went out to dinner. We didn't want to brave the cold right away, so we just went downstairs to the hotel restaurant. It was actually really good. We weren't super hungry, so he just had an appetizer and I had soup and salad. The soup was fantastic. It was a Tilapia Cream soup, so it tasted somewhat like clam chowder. The waiter checked and said it had no flour, so that was great. It's really rare to find a good restaurant soup or chowder without flour in it.  The salad was also very good, but huge. I did manage to polish off most of it, though. I had sunflower seeds, goat cheese, and chunks of pumpkin squash as well as the usual salad veggies.

I grabbed the wrong hat, so instead of my ski mask, I had to wear a regular knit hat. Brrr! I had to wrap my scarf around my face to protect it from the cold and wind. I didn't want to go out at all, but I needed the exercise. We didn't walk very much or far because it was just too cold. It was in the teens at night and there were more snow flurries! It didn't stick, fortunately.

We went over to the Flying Saucer. They had a nice band playing there, too.  Then we went back to our hotel bar/restaurant later. Unfortunately, the Starbucks was closing and they'd already shut down their hot chocolate machine. I didn't want a coffee that late.  However, the bartender found some hot chocolate for me in the kitchen, and I had that, with some Bailey's.  No whipped cream, but it was still delicious and very nice after walking in the cold.

Earlier we had planned to take a cab over to the restaurant that we had enjoyed on our anniversary, called Brave New Restaurant. I called them to see if we could get in, since it was a Friday night. They were closed because of the snow and cold! Wow! Apparently the whole town had shut down (like, the city buildings) so I guess they just decided it wasn't worth staying open. Kind of silly because there was not that much snow and all of the downtown restaurants were open.

I still stayed up late, working on my site. I finally went to sleep around 2 am. I was very tired.

  Saturday 1/7/17

David woke me up around 8, and we got packed up to leave. He wanted to get the drive over with.  It was still very cold. This is my third day of wearing this long underwear. I know, that sounds gross. But long underwear is not what you think (for those of you who don't live in cold areas). It's not really underwear. You wear it over your underwear but under your regular clothes. The traditional long underwear is all one piece, but mine is two pieces. They're kind of like pajamas. I made sure to keep them pretty clean, too. If I had known how cold it would feel, I would have brought some nylons and some actual pajamas to wear as well, so I wouldn't have to keep wearing the same long underwear all weekend. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

We stopped at Dempsey, the gluten-free bakery, so I could get some stuff. I got a couple of danishes, a couple of small cakes, a chicken pot pie and some cookies. They had 3 sugar free cookies, so I got those, at least. The rest are not sugar free. When we got home, I froze them so I wouldn't eat them all at once.

It was not a very exciting vacation, but it was very relaxing. As you can tell, we mostly just ate and slept a lot. I did do some work, when I wasn't playing on social media. David did quite a bit of work on Thursday and Friday via his phone and tablet; but otherwise, we just took it easy. It was too cold to do very much, anyway. I didn't even suggest karaoke. The one karaoke place I know about downtown is a bit farther to walk. It's not all that great of a karaoke place, anyway, to be honest. Plus, the karaoke doesn't start until about 9, and we kept going back to our hotel room pretty early.

I kept dozing off in the car on the way back. It's too hard to stay awake when you're tired and it's cold. When we got to Magnolia, we saw hardly any snow. It was in the mid-30's and sunny, so it had melted. We just saw a few patches of snow on houses here and there, or in shady areas. I was disappointed because I wanted to take a picture of our house with snow on it, or around it.  There was none left by the time we got home. The top of our neighbor's house had a tiny little bit, but that's it. Bummer.  It's in the 20's tonight and supposed to hit the teens tomorrow morning, but then the temps are supposed to go up and all the rest of the week - it'll be in the 50's and 60's. I'm glad about that, but I wish it would snow again.

Of course our house was very cold when we got back, and it took awhile to warm up. We just both went to take a nap.  I made him a sandwich first because it was lunch time. I'd had one of my danishes and a little bacon.  When I woke up later, though, I was starving, but it was too cold at first to go into the other part of the house. We have 2 heaters/air conditioner controls in our house. One works for the dining room, kitchen, living room, half bath and sunroom. The other one works for the bedrooms and other bathrooms. We turn it off if we're not in there, so the living room and kitchen area got cold again while we were asleep.

As I walked into the kitchen a little later, I saw the mouse again. Darn it, I thought I had driven him out of the kitchen.  Then a little later, I was sitting on the couch in my usual spot, and I saw the mouse run from around the TV area over to the couch, where David usually sits. It ran right by his shoes and under the couch. I yelled, "Ack! Darn mouse!" So now I guess I will try to get some different traps, or we'll have to get the dog.  First, though, I need to finish putting away all of the Christmas decorations. I don't want to bring a dog in and have him get into all that mess all over the floor. It would probably be next weekend at the earliest, anyway.

The rest of the day we mostly just hung out, watched TV, etc. I did some work on my site. I don't have a lot of energy. I made stir-fry for lunch with the rest of my veggies. Tomorrow we'll go to the grocery store.  We called my SIL Eileen to wish her a happy birthday and had a nice long chat. 

I ended up staying up until about 4am.

  Sunday 1/8/17

David woke me up about 11am, and we went to lunch after I got ready. We went to KFC to eat, and then we went to Wal-Mart for our weekly shopping. The KFC was even better than usual. Usually, the chicken is too hot, so it's hard for me to eat. I don't eat the skin part, so I tear it off, and it's usually painful to my fingers.  Also, the coleslaw was great.  Now, we haven't been in there for a few weeks, yet, their front cash registers are still not working. I feel bad for them, using only one cash register, way over by the drive-through.

I had to pick up a prescription and then do my part of the shopping. I always give David a list of things he can get, and I get the things that he's not good at picking out, like fresh vegetables. I was feeling a little sick there and had to stop in the restroom. While I was in there, I heard a woman being violently ill in one of the other stalls. She sounded horrible. I was going to get an employee to check on her, but it sounded like someone else was already doing that. I hope she just has the flu or something.

I was sick off and on the rest of the evening. Not too bad, just annoying. We couldn't go for our walk on the track because of it, so I didn't get any exercise...again!

I did a lot of work on my site, and did the laundry, and unpacked, and put lots of clothes away.

I've been looking through my new professor's tweets and files for the new courses. He does everything on line, so it's very easy.  There are no books for his classes, but he has a lot for us to read, anyway.

Yesterday I had posted in some "Days of Our Lives" Facebook groups about some rumors going around, and some of the people were very rude to me. It annoys me so much when people are just rude for no reason.

I'm going to have to start getting up very early so I'll be more ready on Wednesday. I stayed up until about 3am.

Have a great week!

This page updated 3/24/17

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Save the Internet: Click here

Home 1/2/17 Chronicles 1/16/17 Chronicles 1/9/17 Chronicles 1/23/17 Chronicles 1/30/17 Chronicles 2/6/17 Chronicles 213/17 Chronicles 2/20/17 Chronicles 3/6/17 Chronicles 3/13/17 Chronicles 3/20/17 Chronicles 3/27/17 Chronicles 4/3/17 Chronicles 4/10/17 Chronicles 4/17/17 Chronicles 4/24/17 Chronicles 5/1/17 Chronicles 5/8/17 Chronicles 5/15/17 Chronicles 5/22/17 Chronicles 5/29/17 Chronicles 6/5/17 Chronicles 6/12/17 Chronicles 6/19/17 Chronicles 7/3/17 Chronicles 7/10/17 Chronicles 7/17/17 Chronicles 7/24/17 Chronicles 7/31/17 Chronicles 8/7/17 Chronicles 8/14/17 Chronicles 8/21/17 Chronicles 8/28/17 Chronicles 9/4/17 Chronicles 9/11/17 Chronicles 9/18/17 Chronicles 9/25/17 Chronicles 10/2/17 Chronicles 10/22/17 Chronicles 12/25/17 Chronicles 10/1/18 Chronicles 10/8/18 Chronicles 10/15/18 Chronicles