11/3/14 Chronicles

Friends' blogs


This Week

  Monday 10/27/14

Last night I went to bed about 10pm, and this morning I woke up a little after 6am. I got plenty of sleep, but now I'm really tired and wanting to go back to bed. I'm going to TRY to stay up.

I went over to Starbucks to get some coffee, but it only helped for a little while, apparently. I also stopped at Fisher and got a new printer cartridge, and Subway to get a soda.

So many things make a person tired, especially me. First, constantly changing your hours is not good and makes you tired. I hope at some point, it stays steady. Secondly, when I get sick from the gluten poisoning, it can really wear me out and make me just want to go to bed and sleep. Thirdly, the diabetes can also make me sleepy if my blood sugar is too high.

Right now I'm waiting for the dry cleaning to be delivered-- then I can go to the grocery store.

I was so tired and I tried to go back to sleep, but I wasn't able to sleep. I had a headache and my sinuses were painful, so I just laid down for a little while. I'm feeling better now. I'm picking up around the house and doing laundry.

I forgot to mention that on Friday when we were at the country club (when I was dressed up as Snow White), a little girl passed me by and then she stopped, turned around, curtsied, said "Your highness" and then turned back around and kept going. That was so cute and funny!

I went out to get lunch from McDonald's and then I put the dry cleaning away. Busy busy!

I was very productive after that. I straightened up the entire house (which really needed it), worked on my site and other things. My sinus pain went away but then came back.

In the evening, we went over to Gordon Biersch to Science Pub, which is a monthly thing that HPU does during the school year where people give a talk about a particular subject. We get to see friends, have some good food and drinks and hopefully enjoy an interesting and stimulating evening, or even learn something. This week's topic was about Chinese tourists in the US and how they're rising, and I guess, how culturally they're very different from other tourists (I think). It was not really my kind of thing. I had the fish tacos, which I often do there, but they weren't spicy at all (they're supposed to be cajun).

I've been spending most of my time planning this party! I have a lot of computers and TV's, so each one is going to be playing either a Halloween show or movie or playing music or a Halloween slide show.

I went to bed pretty early, like around 10, and I was very tired.

  Tuesday 10/28

I woke up around 7am, I think?

I was sick a lot all day, and I took a nap for a little while.

I walked over to Safeway and got some needed groceries for the party. I still have a few things left to get. I was going to go to Walmart but I was too sick.

We had dinner over at Epic, but my stomach wasn't feeling that great, so I didn't eat much. I had two scallops and then took most of the salad I ordered home.  They were pretty crowded.

I didn't do too much today besides that...

  Wednesday 10/29

I tried to go to bed about 12:15, but it was too hot, so I put on the a/c for a while and waited for the room to cool down. It's almost 80 degrees so...hot!

When I woke up again around 10am, it was the same temperature....ah, well. Just been working on my site this morning, but I'll be going to lunch soon with David, stopping at Walmart, then I have chores to do around the apartment.

David doesn't want to have lunch so I'll go by myself! I went to Walmart first and then just went to McDonald's for lunch before heading home.

Then I spent some time on the phone with Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Every time one of my shows records, a little annoying pop-up comes up that says "Record as Planned?" and then I have to press the select button. Which is annoying when we're watching a show, or fast-forwarding one, or recording one to DVD. They couldn't figure it out, so they're sending a technician on Monday. I have zero confidence that some technician will know what's going on when the tech support people and their supervisors didn't know about it (unless I get really lucky). I'm guessing that it's something in their Navigator that changed when they upgraded and there's no way to turn it off. We'll see, I guess! It only started happening a few months back, but it happens in both DVR's. (I then learned from TWC Help on Twitter that it's a feature and can't be disabled. D'oh!)

I also phoned Verizon to ask them to look into why our data usage keeps going up. I'm still not sure why. Originally we had 2 gb, but then when I phoned them a few months back, they gave me an extra gig for free, for a year. Now it's still telling us, with a week left on our account this month, that we've almost exceeded our data. The support person on the phone couldn't tell me why it keeps going up when both of us usually use wireless, but she told me how to turn off the data on our phones, so it would only use Wireless, and I bought another gig for the rest of this month, just in case, for only $10.

Yesterday I made 2 cakes for our party on Saturday. Today I fixed up the living room rug (even though it's taped down, it keeps slipping off the tape) and took out a lot of extra boxes we had to the trash, and did the laundry and dishes. I've got a cheeseball to make, and I've also got to go through the fridge and freezer and organize things.....I ended up only doing part of the cheeseball. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

We went to Murphy's for dinner. I had a small salad and the steak. It was way too much food, so I took a lot of it home.

  Thursday 10/30/14

I stayed up until about midnight and woke up around 8:30. I considered going to get coffee, but I was too lazy. Today I have a long list of things to do, including dusting and vacuuming the house.

We went to lunch at Subway, but I was not all that hungry because I had last night's leftovers for breakfast! Also, my stomach was slightly upset but otherwise I got better and wasn't too sick.

After lunch, I went to Long's to pick up a couple of things, and I stopped at the flower shop next to David's office, Flower Fair. I bought some of the red flowers I like for this little vase I have and this beautiful orchid plant. They also had a cute African Grey Parrot that talked to me and did wolf whistles. Her name is Suzy!

Here are the pics from the HPU Halloween FunFest I went to last Friday.

And here are the pics from the Halloween Party we went to at the Pacific Club.

I started the dusting and vacuuming, but my vacuum is not working. I don't know why, but it's just not picking up anything. So I called around and I'm getting a cleaning service to come in Saturday afternoon. They'll clean the bathrooms, kitchen, and do the vacuuming. Less for me to worry about! We're going to have to take that vacuum to be repaired, or get a new one. Bummer. It's only slightly more than a year old. We always seem to break them in about a year. I don't even vacuum that often! LOL!

I marinated some pork overnight for barbecue sandwiches for my party. I bought a "flavor injector" but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work, and it had no instructions. So instead I just poked holes all over the pork and poured the marinade on it. Hopefully that will be good enough!

I had the oven on tonight so it was really too hot. There's never a good time to use the oven in Hawaii, I guess (well, maybe if you have central air). I made these "bone crackers" that go with the Goblin Dip. You cut tortillas into bone shapes, brush them with butter and garlic, and then bake them at 250 degree oven for half an hour. They look great!

  Friday 10/31

I went to bed after midnight. I was so tired! And then I got up this morning for a call about 5:45. That was tough. I went back to bed for an hour and then had another call. I think I'm going to skip lunch and go back to sleep for a while. I've got tons to do.

I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. I just lay down for awhile. David and I went to lunch at the Greek place, and I walked around, went to Starbucks, then Walmart, etc. I saw quite a few costumes and enjoyed myself. I tried the Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino. Yum! I had a nice chat with David's secretary. I wore my long-sleeved black shirt that has 3 glittery pumpkins across it. It was a little too warm for this weather, but at least it did rain a little to cool things down.

I did a lot of work on getting food ready after I got back. Then I did my hair and makeup, and put my Snow White costume on again, around 5. David came home about 5:40, and then we went down to Waikiki. I love seeing all of the great costumes down there. I saw about 6 other Snow Whites! 2 or 3 of them were little kids. We saw many great costumes.  People seemed to really love my costume, judging by the smiles and "ooh!"s and "Oh, Snow White"!  I was surprised. To me it didn't seem all that unusual. First we went to Kani Ka Pila Grille, at the Outrigger Reef, which we've been to a lot. The place always has a great Hawaiian band, and the people that work there are very nice. The food is pretty good, and they have gluten free buns, so that makes me happy. All of the workers were dressed up in costume, too. Then we went to the Irish bar for a while, and then we just walked around for a while. It was a lot of fun!

I guess they were having something going on at the Honolulu Art Museum because there were a lot of people outside the front, in a long line, mostly in costume. I have to check that out next year!

I did some more work on getting ready for the party; I was up until about 1am or so.

  Saturday 11/1/14

I woke up at 10am. I did the laundry and other work to get the house ready. We walked to Gordon Biersch for lunch, but the Maid Brigade phoned me to say they were here (I was told 1:30 but told they might be a little early -- didn't realize that meant 2 hours early!).  We were walking back when some guy stopped us, pretending to be a lost tourist. It quickly became clear that he was a con artist. I have to say, though, that the dude worked hard at spinning his tale of woe. I went to McDonald's while David walked home. After I got there, the Maid Brigade arrived a little after noon. They left around 1:15, and they did a good job. They were nice and fast at their job.

I didn't have them dust because I'd already done it, and I have Halloween decorations all over the place. I was a tad annoyed that the guy on the phone asked me all of these questions about what they should do, and parking etc. and then it turned out that he hadn't told him any of it, and I had to tell them all over again. But they really made the place sparkle.

I was rushing around the rest of the day to get the place and the food ready. Cynthia and Tom came by at 5pm to help out, which was good! They were invaluable.

The party came out very well. There was ONE thing I forgot to make, but it wasn't missed. We had plenty of food. I made 3 different types of little sandwiches - barbecue pork on Hawaiian rolls; little bagels with salmon and cream cheese; and these little deviled ham open-faced sandwiches that look like eyeballs. I also had dips and lots of chips, and a cheeseball, and sliced carrots and celery. There was tons and tons of candy, and 3 types of cake. Most of the sweets didn't get eaten too much. I'll have to hide the candy from us or get rid of it, and 2 of the cakes. I can't eat 2 of them because they're not gluten free, and David doesn't like cake.

We invited 14 people, but 4 of them couldn't come. All the rest came in costume, and we all had fun, so that was awesome. I'll post photos next week. They all stayed for a few hours, so that was fine. Most of them are working people, used to getting up early. Two of them had fairly long drives and 2 had kids.

The only problem was that it was pretty hot in our place, especially with wearing costumes. A few took theirs off or at least took layers off. Next year: pool party! LOL!  It was in the 80's and that's not uncommon for this time of year.

You may recall that we have 2 window a/c units, but they don't work. One was working, but it leaks so we don't use it now. If we leave the doors to the lanai open, it's a bit cooler, as long as you're not moving around too much or wearing too many clothes. I probably should buy some more fans if I have any more parties.

I was exhausted after the party. I just cleared off the table, threw some stuff away. Too tired. My back and shoulder hurt a lot, too, so I had some trouble sleeping at first. I went to bed sometime after 11.

  Sunday November 2

I woke up around 10am. I'm so far behind on my work on my site! I've mostly done that today, but I do also need to take down all of the decorations and do lots of dishes.

We went to lunch at O'Toole's (they have a little buffet on the weekends), and I worked, then later we went to dinner at our regular place, Downbeat Diner. I ate a lot of candy lately, so I just had a Greek salad.

I'm going to do more work and clean up a bit, but we'll see how long I last...

I did tons of work on my site and also took down most of the decorations and cleaned up the kitchen a little. I haven't put the decorations away yet; that will take a while longer. I have them all in the guest room.

I stayed up until about 1am, but I was very sleepy.

Don't forget to also check out my TV Blog! Both are updated about once a week.

I disabled the comments because of spam, but please do Contact me if you have a comment about the blog!

This page updated 3/24/17

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Save the Internet: Click here

Home 10/21/14 Chronicles 10/27/14 Chronicles 11/3/14 Chronicles 11/10/14 Chronicles 11/17/14 Chronicles 11/24/14 Chronicles 12/1/14 Chronicles 12/8/14 Chronicles