5/13/19 Chronicles

Friends' blogs


Latest Post - This Week

  Monday 5/6/19

I woke up around 4am and couldn't get back to sleep! I slept too much yesterday, I guess.

I had some sausage for breakfast. I always share it with Brandy. For lunch, I had some leftover tortillas from last night's dinner, with lettuce, turkey and cheese. It was muy delicioso! Later on, for dinner, I had a cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce.

I called the vet to book the dates for when Brandy would be in their kennel (while we're in San Diego, in a few weeks).

My stomach wasn't feeling well all day...it hurt. I took a couple of GasX and it felt better.

I walked Brandy about 9:15am. It was almost cold out. We've just had beautiful weather lately. It's in the 70's. Some days it gets above 80, but not too much. We've had a little humidity, but nothing too bad.

I had some food and then took a nap about 11. I woke up around 3. My stomach felt much better.

David came to get me about 6:15. We went to El Compadre. I didn't eat anything. I just had soda.

I mostly worked on my site, but I also did the laundry and dishes. I went to bed pretty late, around 3am.

  Tuesday 5/7/19

I've been using my DVD recorder to record some shows from my DVR to DVD for some friends and relatives. You may recall that sometime in the past two months, it broke down. The power button just blinked on and off, and I couldn't eject the DVD that was in there. I finally got it work, but now it's doing it again, and nothing is working. Bummer. I can't find anyone to fix it, so I'll probably just buy a new one from Amazon.

At least I do have two, and the one in the bedroom is working, so I can still use it to record some shows. I'm trying to get rid of shows that are on my DVR as much as I can...

I got up way too late, about 1pm. I took Brandy for a walk after that. It was getting kind of hot, but it didn't feel all that humid.

The couple who cut our lawn, weed and pick up the dog poop came today, which is great because it really needed fixing up.

David came by to get me, and we went to dinner at the Japanese restaurant. He always has sushi, and I had edamame as usual.

All week, the allergies have been bad. We both thought we had sore throats and worried about being sick, but we haven't had any other symptoms.

I've been feeling out of sorts as well. I think, since I had so many assignments due all year, my brain feels like I should be on to the next one, or practicing, or that I'm forgetting something. There's this feeling of uneasy anticipation. I hope I get over it soon!

Most of the week, I've also been dreaming about Hawaii quite a lot. I hope we get to visit sometime! I sure miss it. Last night I actually had a weird "General Hospital" dream. I dreamed that I was one of Sonny's sons (we were both very young) and something bad had happened (like, maybe involving a gun), and we had to tell him, but we were worried about what he would say. It was a very weird dream.

After we came back from dinner, I walked Brandy again. It was much cooler by then. Oh, the one magnolia tree in our neighborhood is blooming! That's so cool. It doesn't bloom very long.

At some point, I pulled one of my hamstring muscles on the left side. I only notice the pain occasionally.

I didn't do anything very exciting today, other than that. Just watched TV and did some work on my site. I went to bed about 2:30, but I had a hard time getting to sleep. I tossed and turned a lot.

  Wednesday 5/8/19

The alarm didn't go off because we had a big rain storm, so the power went out. I woke up sometime around 11 and went back to sleep (it was pouring rain, anyway). I woke up after 1. I didn't want to sleep that late! :( 

I had sausages for breakfast, and some little keto cookies.  After that, I was a little sick from something I ate with gluten, as usual. Who knows! Maybe the Mexican food from Sunday. Or something in my pantry is making me sick. I've been too lazy to test everything. The problem is, though, that the tester only works on the one part of the food you test, so if another part is contaminated, it won't help you. Also, you can't test anything accurately that's fermented, which includes not only alcohol, but soy sauce, and vanilla. Also, if the package says "natural flavors" or "artificial flavors," how do I know if that's soy sauce of vanilla? I don't.

The termite inspector had come earlier, while I was sleeping...he didn't call. Apparently they had my phone number on my account for pest control, but not for termite inspection.  So he came back. I put Brandy in the bedroom so he could do the rest of it. He was a very nice guy. We started chatting, once he saw my music room.  He plays drums in two different bands locally. I told him about my limited band experience. He said they were talking about maybe getting a female singer (at least he didn't say "girl singer" like they did in Hawaii!) and invited me to come out and see them when they perform. He gave me his card, that has their web site address. They sound pretty good, but they play all over Arkansas, and I can't really do that. I don't have my own car, and I don't like riding with strangers. I know, I'm weird. But also, they do country, mostly, so it's not really my kind of music.  I'm very picky, too.

Well, once I graduate from SAU, if I have more time, then I will pick up the guitar and start practicing again. I just don't have the time to do it right now. It was very nice of him, though, to show interest. That made me feel good.

After he left, I walked Brandy. The sky was very dark and threatening to storm, but we made it back before it started raining!

I was sick a little off and on all day...UGH.

For lunch, I had a wrap sandwich with the NUCO wraps...I grilled some turkey lunchmeat, and melted cheese on top. I put mayo and lettuce on the wrap, and some leftover grilled onions. It was delicious!

I put away the clean clothes, worked on my site, read on social media, and watched TV. The usual! I have a long list of things around the house I should be doing, though.

  Thursday 5/9/19

I didn't sleep more than an hour or so. I've had really bad pain in my neck/shoulder, even though I took lots of Aleve and a muscle relaxer, and two showers.

When I took Brandy for her early walk, we saw the bunny again, in the same yard we always see him (it's probably not the same one, after all these years).  He was hopping away, unfortunately. He probably heard us coming a long ways away.

Later on, David picked me up, and we went to a new place called Central Hub, which is downtown at the Square. I chatted with them on Facebook, and they told me they had some gluten free pizza and other foods. Their pizza is pretty good. It's a big place, and they have two bars, and two stages for bands.  David liked his chicken sandwich, too, so we'll be back.

I only had 2 slices and took the rest home. I had gotten the pizza that has pepperoni, sausage, beef and ham as well as veggies. Well, I took the rest home and tested it with my NIMA. It was mostly GF, but the ham was not. I let them know on Facebook, so they can tell future diners. I just took the ham off the rest of the pizza. They had different size GF pizzas, so I think they made it be hand (most GF pizzas at places only has one size because it's frozen. Often it's Udi's pizza, which is so-so).

We stopped at the Wal-Mart after dinner, and I got some food for recipes I'm making tomorrow, as well as some more flowers.

I was very tired and went to bed early.

  Friday 5/10/19

I woke up really early, about 4am, and I couldn't get back to sleep. All day, I kept thinking it was Saturday, because David doesn't have to go into the office on Fridays any more. They work slightly longer hours Monday through Thursday, and then they can take Friday off. For him, that just means working at home, but at least he can do his exercising and be available for errands, etc.

I started working on the food for later. Our friend Beth is coming by for a business meeting, so I always make lunch for us.  I'm making a BBQ Chicken Salad, with rolls, and orange sorbet for dessert.

I took Brandy out for her walk around 9. I dressed for summer weather, but it was actually cold. So weird. It was 60 degrees and windy. I'm not kidding! I put long pants and a sweater, and I still felt cold. Brrr! Hawaii people would be freezing.

First I made the sorbet, which was quite a chore. It required me to use a vegetable peeler to take off the peel from two oranges, but without taking off the pith (which is bitter). Well, I did have some pith on the peels, so I think took a small knife and scraped the pith off the peel.  Then I cut up the peel.  The recipe says to then "use a citrus reamer to squeeze juice from orange halves." The ingredients include 10 oranges! No way would I have juiced those by hand.  Fortunately, I have a citrus juicer. Otherwise, I think I would have just used store-bought OJ.  But, anyway, the instructions didn't really tell you how to do any of this: Peel the oranges so you don't get much pith, scrape the pith off the peels, or ream the juice out. Thank goodness, I figured it out.  Then you boil sugar in some water, and then reduce the heat (you're making a simple syrup), and then add the orange peels. The sugar syrup absorbs the flavor from the peels.

Normally, I would have made the sorbet sugar free, but I wasn't sure how the Splenda would work in this part of the process.

Anyway, that was the hard part. The rest was easy.

There were quite a few steps involved with making the salad, but they weren't hard. I cooked up the chicken first, and it came out really good. Probably the best seared chicken breasts I've ever made. I made sure not to overcook them like I usually do. All the other steps just involved chopping veggies or other foods.  The salad was pretty good, and it was even better the next day as leftovers.

Yesterday I forgot one ingredient, and David got the wrong ingredient, so he went back to the store for me, to get both.

Beth came by around noon, and we had lunch.  She's always very nice, but she wasn't in a very good mood, like usual. She's having some family issues right now that are stressing her out. Poor woman! I hope she feels better. I'm thinking about her.  Then we went over the finances. This was our last meeting. Things look pretty good for our future. She's helped us out a lot.  If you need a good financial planner, let me know.

She didn't stick around long, like last time, unfortunately. She may have had another appointment, or maybe she just wasn't in the mood for more chat, which is fine. Oh, I served the orange sorbet with a sprig of mint, and a little GF lemon wafer cookie. It turned out very yummy.  The salad was pretty good...it could have used a little more spice, but it was fine. I served with the Kings Hawaiian rolls. Those are always good. I can't eat them any more, but, oh well....

After putting dishes etc. away, I took a long nap. After the nap, I took Brandy for another walk. It was slightly warmer than before, and more humid.

  Saturday 5/11/19

I slept a long time, like 12 hours or more.

It rained all day, so I couldn't walk the door until about 7pm.  She only got one walk today, alas.

I had breakfast sausages and some other things for breakfast.

later, David and I went to Flying Burger. I wasn't hungry, so I just watched him eat, and I had a soda. Then we went to Brookshire's to get a few things.  At least they had Sugar Free Popsicles! Wal-Mart has been out of them lately.

It was a very stressful day. I had a lot of technical difficulties! Earlier this week my living room DVR died. This morning I put a disk in the bedroom one, put the channel on the 70's SiriusXM channel, and pressed record. At least, that's what I thought I did...I don't know, either I did it wrong, or the recorder didn't work for some reason.

Then, I realized I forgot to run my daytime soaps transcripts for my site yesterday (it felt like Saturday, so that's probably why. Plus, I was busy all day).  So first I watched the show today, and then when I went to run it...for some reason, I couldn't get two of the shows to load. It just hangs there, like it's loading, but it never does. This is a problem with my DISH Network DVR.

All day, I tried everything I could, to get it to work. I finally called DISH and was on the phone with them for awhile.  They did some stuff and said it would take about 20 minutes. When that was done, I still wasn't able to load my shows. I restarted the DISH box and it still wouldn't work. Then I deleted some shows and moved a whole bunch more to the external hard drive. I watched some shows and deleted more. The DVR had been 86% full, so I figured that might be the problem. I finally got it down to 78%.  Well, it still wasn't loading, so I hit what I thought was the escape button, but instead, I hit the back button, and that took me to the "summary" screen instead of the "episodes" screen, but it had "resume" and "startover" buttons, so I went ahead and started the show over, and ran my transcripts!  After that, I was able to get the other shows to work as well. Hallelujah! I accidentally fixed it. LOL! It's so weird.

Besides doing the laundry and dishes, I worked on my site. I forgot to eat lunch for a while, and I was sick to my stomach as usual from something I ate with gluten (probably something here in my kitchen). Eventually I did eat, so I had more leftover salad from yesterday.  Later, I cooked up all the bacon and made David a bacon cheeseburger. Still later, I made one for me, too.  Even the dog got some of the bacon on her dog food. Bacon makes us all happy! :)

Anyway, it was a long day, and I stayed up until 4am.

  Sunday 5/12/19

David woke me up about 7:45 so I could record the 70's countdown (since it didn't work yesterday, for some reason - thank goodness they show it more than once!). I went back to sleep after that.

It only rained a little bit today, so we had no problem doing our walks. Brandy was happy to see the little girl next door and also her dog, Kona.

Happy Mother's Day!

Of course, my mom died when I was 10. I'm still in touch with my foster mom, Marianne. I sent her an e-card.  My MIL is in a dementia care facility in La Mesa. My SIL Susan lives near her and visits her regularly. She went there to have lunch or dinner with my MIL. We went a card, flowers and some candy. She's almost 92!

We were hoping to see my SIL Eileen when we go to San Diego next week, but alas, she can't make the trip after all. Too bad. You never know how much time we all have. Once you hit your 50's, too many you know just die from various things, like heart attack, stroke, cancer etc. Especially if they were smokers or overweight. Most of us are not in that great of shape! I'm still struggling to control my weight. I eat too many sweets.

I've been walking Brandy twice a day, though, to help that.  My knee was hurting today, and I woke up in the middle of the night, and it was really hurting, so I took a muscle relaxer. I don't know if it's from the extra walking or what. When I was taking classes, I used to take the stairs all the time, and that didn't hurt my knee! So I don't know why walking Brandy more would make a difference. There aren't a lot of hills around our neighborhood or anything.

I was very sick for a while from something I ate with gluten. I have no idea what's been making me so sick.

We went to Java Primo for lunch. I don't think we'll be going there again any time soon. Their food is really hit-or-miss. I usually get the breakfast platter. Lately they've been cramming the whole thing on one plate (there's a lot of fruit), which means they put the eggs on the potatoes. That makes it hard to eat.  Their bacon is the worst I've ever had. It's dry and hard to chew. I tell them not to make it too crispy, but that doesn't seem to help. I would rather have sausage, but they said that's not GF.  The fruit is also so-so.  It's barely ripe most of the time. Yuck.  The people there are very nice. There sandwiches and burgers are great. Their gelato is awesome. We should only go there for dinner, not breakfast or lunch. Last week I had a great pork chop there.

We went to Wal-Mart afterwards...we didn't have too much to get, just a few things. Their greeter was handing out roses for Mother's Day, so I told her I wasn't a mom, thanked her but said she should keep the roses for the moms. She thanked me for my honesty. That was nice :)

I did a lot of work on my site and watched TV.

Later on, we went to Antigua's as usual for dinner. He ate, and I just had a soda.  Neither place was super crowded, which was surprising. I guess most people cook for their moms or something.

I didn't stay up too late...went to bed before midnight.

I disabled the comments because of spam, but please do Contact me if you have a comment about the blog!

This page updated 5/14/19

Please donate via Paypal.


eXTReMe Tracker
 Save the Internet: Click here

Home Older Chronicles 1/7/19 Chronicles 1/14/19 Chronicles 1/21/19 Chronicles 1/28/19 Chronicles 2/4/19 Chronicles 2/11/19 Chronicles 2/18/19 Chronicles 2/25/19 Chronicles 3/4/19 Chronicles 3/11/19 Chronicles 3/18/19 Chronicles 3/25/19 Chronicles 4/1/19 Chronicles 4/8/19 Chronicles 4/15/19 Chronicles 4/22/19 Chronicles 4/29/19 Chronicles 5/6/19 Chronicles 5/13/19 Chronicles 5/20/19 Chronicles 5/27/19 Chronicles 6/3/19 Chronicles 6/10/19 Chronicles 6/17/19 Chronicles 6/24/19 Chronicles 7/1/19 Chronicles 7/8/19 Chronicles 7/15/19 Chronicles 7/22/19 Chronicles